When establishing doctrine…

Home Forums Doctrinal Discussions When establishing doctrine…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ernest

I have this idea that when it comes to establishing doctrine, we should consider all the scriptures that pertain to the topic at hand. When we then establish a doctrine, we should include the scriptural terminology and not attempt to help the Lord out by saying something He didn’t feel a need to say.
    If we want to summarize or advance an idea beyond what the scriptures actually do, we should make it clear that this is a speculation or a theory but not something we can establish as doctrine.
    It seems to me that anytime someone puts forth a doctrinal theory, they are setting themselves up for debate and a challenge. I struggle to see the value of such debate over the centuries other than to help people dig their heels in further. An example would be: unconditional eternal security vs. conditional eternal security
    If we simply stick with the wording of scripture, we may differ slightly in our understanding, but at least we won’t be taking opposite positions.

Thoughts?

JShrock
    Participant

Ernest, Good thoughts, What you stated about staying with scripture is absolutely crucial, we sometimes differ a bit in our understanding or application of it but we still need to keep the scriptures as our core foundation of belief or else we drift away from the mind of God and just help facilitate more division in the Body. 1 Cor 4:6 – 2 John 1:9

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.